The very first ten random facts are about sugar!
- Sugar helps to produce lots of energy and body heat.
- Sugar straight from the cane contains carbon, hydrogen and oxygen.
- Indians probably discovered sugar in 500 BC.
- Sugar juice is in the upper part of the sugar cane.
- Purified juice contains 7 parts of water for every 1 part of sugar (7:1).
- Your body makes sugar into a type of glucose.
- Many ingredients or body-made chemicals that end with the suffix -ose, like in glucose, fructose and lactose, normally indicate that the ingredient or chemical is a type of sugar.
- The recommended daily intake of sugar a day is 10 teaspoons.
- Unprocessed sugar is good for you but refined and processed can be bad for you.
- 80% of the world’s sugar is produced from sugar cane while about 20% is produced from sugar beet.
Leighton, D 1977, Sugar, Wayland Publishers Limited, United Kingdom
Likness, J 2012, Sugar and Artificial Sugar Facts, Every Diet, <http://www.everdiet.org/1001/sugar-and-artificial-sugar-facts>