Bats swoop in the dark, sleep in the light, but these bats don’t hit a ball, they eat bugs. In other words, here is ten facts about the animal bat.
- There are approximately 1000 different varieties of bats in the world.
- The largest bat is the Flying Fox while the smallest bat is the Bumblebee bat.
- Bats use ultrasonic, echolocation sounds to find their way around in the dark.
- Bats fly at night instead of during the day, so that they don’t dry up from the heat of the sun.
- Bats are the only mammals that can fly.
- Some very deep caves contain 20 million bats.
- Some bats’ daily diet are insects, other bats eat fish and another group of bats eat fruit. The vampire bat even eats or drinks blood.
- Bats live for an average of 15 years.
- A mother bat can smell and tell which bat is hers by the baby bat’s (or pups as they are called) smell and voice.
- Bats have muscles in their ears that block out the extra loud sounds of their echolocation – the sound could possibly deafen them.
Moore, E 1999, The Truth about Bats, Scholastic, New York
Taylor, D 1995, Nature’s Creatures of the Dark, The Book Company, Sydney
There are different variety of bees, including bumble bees and honey bees, so here are ten facts about the honey bee.
- The black and yellow stripes on a honey bee’s back is a warning to people and animals which says ‘I will hurt’.
- Honey bees have hooked claws to grab other insects for food.
- A honey bee queen can produce more than 2,000 eggs a day in Summer.
- Honey bees have 5 eyes. 3 eyes are small while the other 2 eyes are compound.
- After 4 days a honey bee egg hatches into larvae. Then after 6 more days the larvae sheds its skin and become a pupa.
- The nurse bee seals the pupa in a wax cell for 10-12 days until a pupa becomes a worker honey bee.
- Worker honey bees only live for about 6 weeks. A worker honey bee schedule; in week 1 the worker bee nurses the larvae, in week 2 the worker bee maintains the nest and for the remaining weeks, the worker bee forages nectar and other food.
- The male honey bees are the drone bees, who mate with the queen, while female honey bees are the workers, doing a variety of jobs.
- The honey bee queen produces a special type of chemical that stops other female bees from breeding and having eggs.
- Worker honey bees communicate by touching other bees with their antennae and doing a special dance.
Burnie, D 2005, E.Explore Insect, Dorling Kindersley, Great Britian
House cats are tame little creatures but don’t let them escape and become feral! These 10 facts stick closer to the cuddlier side!
- Cats have amazing night time vision but can’t see in complete darkness.
- Cats communicate vocally by growling, meowing, purring, trilling, hissing and grunting.
- Male domestic cats live to be 12-14 years old while females live to be a year or two older.
- The hooked papillae on cats’ tongues is used to clean and groom their fur.
- A domestic cat’s litter size averages from 3-5 kittens.
- There are over 80 different cat breeds.
- A special coating on a cat’s eye called tapetum lucidum, helps cat’s eyes to glow and see in the dark.
- Cats have many interesting properties. Cats have strong, flexible bodies and quick reflexes. They also have sharp claws and strong teeth.
- A cat’s heart beats from 120-140 beats per minute.
- There are approximately 220 million domestic cats worldwide.
Animals 1992, Publications International, USA
Cat 9 October 2012, Wikipedia, <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat>