The one and only Ten Random Facts presents ten facts about the popular amphitheatre, the Colosseum!
- The Colosseum opened in AD 80 and took 10 years to be built.
- The Colosseum seated an amazing 50,000 people.
- 5,000 animals were killed for the Colosseum’s opening ceremony.
- The Colosseum was badly damaged by a major fire in 217 AD and then was damaged by an earthquake in 443 AD.
- The Colosseum went into repairs in 240, 250, 252, 320, 484, 508 and around 443 AD. The Colosseum is about to undergo major restoration.
- The Colosseum is a theatre and arena and has been used for other interesting purposes like a cemetery, quarry and church.
- The outer wall of the Colosseum was estimated to contain over 100,000 square meters of travertine stone which is held together by 300 tons of iron clamps.
- The Colosseum arena is 83m by 48m (272ft by 157ft).
- The Colosseum starred many animals including rhinoceros, hippopotamuses, elephants, giraffes, aurochs, wisents, Barbary lions, panthers, leopards, bears, Caspian tigers, crocodiles and ostriches.
- Since 1643 AD, 684 species of plants have been recorded at the Colosseum.
Colosseum 12 October 2012, Wikipedia, <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colosseum>
Living History 1999, Two-Can Publishing, London
Ancient Egypt is a dazzling place with 10 dazzling facts!
- Ancient Egypt was established in 3100BC and fell to the Romans in 30BC.
- The Ancient Egyptians invented Hieroglyphs, a symbolic language, around 3100BC.
- The Karnak temple is the largest religious structure, which is still standing inEgypt, in the world. The full structure measures 80ha/200acres/809371m2 and took 500 years to complete.
- The biggest pyramid in the world is the largest pyramid of Giza. It’s base measures 53,000m2.
- The pyramids of Giza contain approximately 2,300,000 stone bricks.
Pyramids in Egypt
- Each stone brick in an Egyptian pyramid weighs about 2.5t/2500Kg.
- The Rosetta stone, a slab of granite found at Rashid (Rosetta), contains the language of the Ancient Egyptians – hieroglyphs, demotic script and Ancient Greek. You can find the stone at the British Museum.
- Ancient Egyptian pharaohs where known as sons of the gods, with royalty and power.
- The Ancient Egyptians mastered ship building around 3000BC.
- Slaves were never used to construct the Ancient Egyptian pyramids.
Ancient Egypt 6 October 2012 , Wikipedia, <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_Egypt>
Macdonald, F 2003, Ancient Egyptians-an ancient civilisation brought vividly to life, HarperCollins, London